28 March 2007

The Curious Incident of the God in the night-time

by Mark Haddon

A Red Fox Book 0 09 945676 1

First published in Great Britain by David Fickling Books – a division of Random House Children’s Books – 2003 and then by Red Fox Definitions 2004

WINNER

WHITBREAD BOOK OF THE YEAR

GUARDIAN CHILDREN’S FICTION PRIZE

WINNER OF BOOKTRUST TEENAGE FICTION AWARD

‘Gave me that rare, greedy feeling of: this is so good I want to read it all at once but I mustn’t or it will be over too soon’ Observer

‘Stunningly good’ Independent

‘Brilliantly inventive … not simply the most original novel I’ve read in years … it’s also one of the best’ The Times

‘Christopher is a wonderful fictional creation: a believable, oddly lovable character and a moving education in difference … a warm and often funny novel’ Daily Telegraph

‘An extraordinarily moving, often blackly funny read … it’s hard to think of anyone who would not be moved and delighted by this book’ Financial Times

‘I’d love to know what a reader with Asperger’s thinks of this book. I think it’s brilliant’ Guardian

‘Supremely well written, funny and oddly affecting’ Telegraph Magazine

‘Truly original … certainly kept me up for most of the night-time’ The Bookseller

‘Exceptional by any standards … both funny and deeply moving. When we look at the world through Christopher’s eyes … we see it more clearly and understand ourselves better. What more could you want from a book?’ Sunday Telegraph

‘Haddon’s achievement is quite complex and impressive’ Sunday Times

‘A stroke of genius’ TES

‘Compulsively readable’ Literary Review

Fifteen-year-old Christopher has a photographic memory. He understands maths. He understands science. What he can’t understand are other human beings. When he finds his neighbour’s dog lying dead on the lawn, he decides to track down the killer and write a murder mystery about it. But what other mysteries will he end up uncovering?

‘Read it only when you have absolutely nothing else to care or worry about. I simply lost my sense of time and where about.

I was on a bus, on my way home from the university, when I started the book; and simply ended up leaving my sit in a different city, but Nottingham! I couldn’t even remember which day of the week it was and why I was on that particular bus with my backpack, laptop and everything!

Call me stupid, but I couldn’t help reading the book on my way back to Nottingham as well.’ Hamaad